It was founded in April 1940 by James Bull, who was joined in December of the same year by his brother, Bob, who was the managing director until 1996. A third brother, George, worked for the firm until his death in the late 1960’s.
World War Two helped shape and determine the direction the company was to follow. Import restrictions in force during the war years gave rise to demand for a range of locally made goods. This led to the development of engineering jobbing work as a key part of the company’s business. As times changed locksmithing increasingly became the main focus of the business.
1986 saw expansion into the supply of architectural hardware for both commercial buildings and domestic housing. This has grown to be a major part of the business. 1991 saw the opening of a Wellington business specialising in the supply of hardware to joiners, construction companies & builders.
While Chris & Garry Bull – Bob’s sons – are active in the business on a daily basis, they are only part of a large team of experienced and knowledgeable locksmiths, lock fitters and hardware supply specialists.